Executive chef and owner, Jeff Richard, is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America. Chef Jeff delights in creating eclectic but approachable American fare that’s fresh, adventurous, seasonal and fun.
At the turn of the last century
Before the need for a parish in Castle Rock was fully realized, clergy from St. Mary’s in Colorado Springs and Littleton journeyed the area for a one month term apiece to provide services to local communities. During that time, it was reported that many priests held mass with a pistol hidden nearby. It was a wild time in Colorado.
St. Francis of Assisi was the first church building in town. The Castle Rock Journal reported in 1887 that the estimated cost to build it would be $1,000. Donations from the community poured in and construction began using rhyolite stone from local quarries. On December 16 of 1888 the church was dedicated. Later, in the 1920’s, local families donated the stained glass windows. Records show there was once a rectory on the grounds but it was purportedly destroyed by fire: date unknown.
Prior to 1930
The church offered irregular services and had no assigned priest. Father Walter Steidle was its first ordained minister. A man of the cloth, but also a fine stonemason, he personally built the rock vestibule you see adorning the front of the church today.
By the 1960’s
The local congregation had rightfully outgrown the Old Stone Church. A new location was chosen east of here overlooking the Castle Rock valley as well as Pikes Peak to the south. Dedicated in 1966 the new church took with it the original alter and cornerstone – leaving The Old Stone Church vacant until 1975.
New life in 1975
The church underwent remodeling to become a restaurant in 1975. The original choir loft was expanded to seat guests and the confessional was famously transitioned into our table for two. Owners Jeff and Jeryn Richard have operated the Old Stone Church since 1991.